I'm trying desperately to catch up with all of the stories I'm following and am WAY behind with commenting. This is so blah but it needs to be said.
Nada Surf - Popular
Normally the beginning of the school year is kind of exciting - new classes, new faces and new schedules. September is one of my favourite months of the year - I love the beginning of fall. However today, I was less than excited about going into school. Everything was changing and I didn't want to face Jessica or the knowing and whispering faces.
Jordan had offered to drive me to school seeing as how he had his license and I still didn't. My birthday is at the end of May so I couldn't start learning until some considerable time after most people. I had never needed to drive, I had always got a ride with Nat or Austin or one our friends. And having lifts with your friends is far more enjoyable than driving. Learning isn't one of my priorities, I mean I should learn, but since people always offer me lifts I have never pushed myself to practise more either.
Generally I don't put too much thought into what I wear, I like to look good but I don't plan my outfits days in advance like some girls in my class. Today I stood in front of my wardrobe in my underwear, deciding what to wear. It was still sunny outside which I love - who doesn't love September sunshine and it was going to be warm but not scorching. I pulled on a pair of jeans, grabbed my black blazer and a white tee with a long necklace. I didn't want to look too overdressed but at least I still looked nice, and today of all days, I wanted to be confident in what I was wearing.
"You not eating breakfast?" Jordan said as he sat at the table waiting for me. I grabbed an apple and filled up a mug of coffee before grabbing a bag. I didn't really have time to make myself a proper breakfast and my stomach was churning over and over that I wasn't sure that I could keep anything down.
"You should really eat something," Jordan said following me out of the kitchen as I stood in front of the hallway mirror, adjusting my outfit and checking my makeup. People are always telling me that, that I should eat more. It's not like I have a problem or anything, like that girl last year, Kelly I think her name was, who got admitted to some sort of psychiatric place for eating disorders. I only eat when I feel the need to and I'm happy with my figure.
Jordan started the car as I took my place in the passenger seat, putting on my shades to protect my eyes from the morning glare of the sun, and partly so no one would recognise me in the car.
It felt so strange that I wasn't riding to school with Austin, he had taken me all last year and most of the year before too. School is within walking distance, but I don't think I've walked since I was about fourteen or maybe even younger. Either way, I've never taken the bus either with everyone else.
"How's the hunt going for a new family?" I asked as he pulled the car out of the driveway and into the street.
"No luck. Eric, my brother, contacted his old family in Peterborough but it seems they've already got someone else. I'll just have to keep my eyes open," he replied as we pulled up to a stop sign. Hopefully he'll be out of here soon, I thought, as nice as he is, it'll be good to be back to normal.
"What classes are you taking this year?" he asked me looking across at me as I fidgeted with my cell.
"Advanced math, French, Geography and English, no biology this year for me. You?"
"Advanced math, Geography, Biology and Chemistry," he replied as we rolled to another stop. So he would be in the same class as me for math and geography. I'm not sure how I felt about that, but at least Nat was with me for sciences.
"You ok?" he asked as we pulled into school. I finished my flask of coffee and bit into my apple, trying to clear the bitter taste of coffee from my mouth. I needed to reapply lipgloss too, I wanted, no needed, to look as good as possible when I saw Jessica. She may have slept with Austin, but I didn't want her to think she had the upper hand.
____________________________________________
The day passed pretty quickly and no one really stared. Well there were a few whispers at the very beginning but it quickly died down. I don't know if many people knew what had really happened that night in the woods, but I was glad no one was making a fuss out of it. Nat was faithfully by my side for the whole morning, through registration and class talks so I hadn't been alone until after lunch. Part of me wasn't really looking forward to math, because I would be in the same room as Jessica, and knowing what's she like, she'll probably try and do something. Maths is fine, it's something I'm good at it, but it's not something I particularly enjoy; I just take the class because it looks good for college and I find it easy.
I followed some other girls into the class and took a seat at the side near the door, so I could escape if I wanted to. Jordan was diagonally behind my left shoulder. It was pretty much the same group of people as the year before plus or minus one or two.
"Alice, how was your summer?" Lizzi asked from the desk opposite. She was one of those girls I had always talked to because she was such a nice person. I'll talk to anyone and everyone, but sometimes Austin used to tell me not to talk to certain people because he deemed they weren't "worthy" of our time. It was such an Austin thing to say, and looking back, he believed he ran the place. Personally I liked to find out what other people outside of our friendship circle were up to, otherwise life was so insular. And Lizzi was one of those lovely girls who would do anything for anyone. She doesn't have a malicious bone in her body. "Good actually, I went on vacation for a couple of weeks to the Caribbean but had to be back early because of Dad's wor..."
Right at that moment Jessica swanned through the door, looking like she owned the place and stood in front of my desk, cutting off any conversation I had with Lizzi. "Hey Ally," she bleated. "You never replied to my messages."
"Was there anything to reply to?" I asked as I took out a pen and some paper. Right now after what she did with Austin, I don't think I owe her anything. She used to be one of my closest friends too. I have tons of photos on my wall of her, Nat, Austin and the guys from last year, the summer before and junior high.
"I wanted to apologise, I don't regret what I did, but I think I owe you an apology," she continued in her bimbo voice. I gritted my teeth not knowing quite what to say. How could she sincerely apologise if she didn't regret what she did? I know Austin regrets it, he told me as much in the dozens of messages I received all weekend. I don't want her apology simply because she thinks she should apologise - it means nothing, nada, sweet f.a if she doesn't regret doing it.
"Whatever Jess," I sighed not really wanting to cause more of a scene as I could feel the glances of our classmates looking in our direction. This exchange was too public for my liking. "So I'll see you at the Dairy Queen like old times?"
"Maybe," I replied looking up at her. Jessica looked really hopeful, almost too hopeful that I had already forgiven her. I'm not sure I'm going to forgive her that easily, I'm not one to bear grudges but it was a half-assed attempt at an apology at best, and she might want to work on that. It's something I don't think I'll ever forget, but I don't want to cut Jessica out of my life for this. I'll forgive but I don't think I'll forget.
The DQ is an annual tradition that we've done every year since, well forever. On the first day of the fall semester, we all go to Dairy Queen for ice cream sundaes or soft whip cones. I was going to go with Nat, but I'm not sure I want to go this year. It is a tradition, and I'm not one to break them, but it would just feel too normal and acceptable if I went. Things weren't back to normal, but I didn't want to have another discussion with Jessica at the DQ.
Jessica took her seat in the centre and proceeded to pull out a pink fluffy pen. For someone who is as blonde as Paris Hilton, she does nothing to eradicate any illusions of being an airhead. In fact, looking at her, I think she might play on them.
After that Math class was easy. Ms. Greene explained the outline of this year's course and what would be expected of us and the final examinations. Sadly she also distributed some homework which would have to be done at some point if I wanted good grades and reports to get into a good college.
____________________________________________________________
I texted Nat saying I didn't think I would be going to DQ and gave her a little explanation of the episode with Jessica earlier. I'd get a lift home with Jordan and do my homework tonight.
DQ is a tradition. Don't bail on me. Got to find someone else to go with
You'll be fine I replied back to Nat, knowing that she can talk to anyone and the guy at the Dairy Queen has a thing for Nat, or well he did during the summer.
K tomorrow. Let you know what happens. Have fun with blondie
I laughed at that last part, as if that was even possible. Jordan was about as much fun as watching paint dry. I don't think we even have anything in common apart from doing two classes together.
I found Jordan waiting for me by his car-truck-thing and I quickly hopped inside. I saw Nat driving her car with a couple of the guys out of the parking lot. Fiddling with the radio, I found something I liked by Bedouin Soundclash as Jordan drove in silence. Like I said, about as fun as watching paint dry.
"You gotta help me with this math," he said as he turned the engine off after fifteen minutes of painful silence across town. Why was he taking the advanced class if he needed help? I'm not here to tutor him.
"Really?" I said closing the door and making my way up the steps. I noticed there was a bunch of yellow roses sitting on the top step, lying against the door. I picked them up, assuming they were for Mom or something and looked at the card.
Pelino I love you so much
Don't do this to me
Just think about it
And think about me
A
What a jerk? How was I doing this to him when he was the one who cheated on me? He lost his virginity to someone else and thinks flowers will bring me back to him. As if. And his whole note was so self-absorbed. I wonder if he even gave it some thought before he wrote it. Probably not, because in Austin's world, life revolves around him.
"Who are they from?" Jordan asked as he caught up with me as I stormed through the kitchen to the garbage. I rolled my eyes in disbelief - I don't have that many admirers that I'm sent flowers all the time. Sometimes Grandpa used to send me flowers, but only on special occasions, and now that he's gone, I don't get them very much anymore.
"Austin. As if. I just want time to think," I said as I put the lid back on the bin. How dare he think he can do this to me? As if all of his seventy three messages, none of which I have answered, since Friday night are anything to go by, Austin is not getting the message.
Jordan helped himself to a coke out of the refrigerator and took a long swig. I watched the muscles in his neck bulge as he swallowed with his eyes closed. Yeah, I definitely had to set him up with Nat.
"So this homework?" Jordan asked, putting the coke down on the table. Did we really have to go into this now. Maybe it's better if we just get this over and done with instead of putting it off. And I'm sure he just needs a couple of pointers. Algebra isn't that complicated when you get down to it.
I opened my bag pulling out the sheet and a couple of sheets of paper for the answers. We had only been set two trig problems, but by Ms. Greene's standards, they weren't going to be easy questions. She's been my maths teacher for the last three years and I know she likes to throw you in at the deep end in September.
"Well, you know that sin θ over cos θ equals tanθ? That's the easy one, so we copy that equation down to start with and then differentiate." I watched Jordan differentiate, thinking about the process. "Cos θ integrated equals sin θ," I added as Jordan looked up and smiled at me. He really wasn't that dumb afterall.
Chapter 17: Lucky
12 years ago

That was a cute chapter. Especially the ending. Thanks for making an effort to keep up now that you're in Africa. There's a serious lack of Jordan Staal stories so I'm really greatful for it. :)
ReplyDeleteI wasn't even expecting an update this soon. So thanks! Enjoy your time in Africa!
ReplyDeleteEvery girl needs a hunky hockey player to drive her to school after a breakup. Although if he needs help with math on the first day, he's clearly no brain trust.
ReplyDeleteI guess Alice needs time, but resistance is futile. What will her dad think though?
I'm so behind in my reading! This was a great update, but poor Jordan... only as interesting as drying paint?!LOL! On to the next chapter for me.
ReplyDelete