Sunday, October 24, 2010

XVI

Just had to get this one up this evening...


Livingston - Go


"Remind me again why I'm here?" Nat said to me as she sat shivering next to me on these stupid plastic seats.

"Moral support," I said taking a swig of my beer. "And to buy beer."
She clinked her bottle gently against mine before taking a long sip before looking out over the fresh surface of the ice. We had decided to sit about halfway up behind the benches in the middle - enough so that it was clear I hadn't backed out of this stupid deal; any lower and we'd look too keen.

I was surprised how busy this place was, I didn't think this many people actually went to watch hockey matches. It isn't like this is even the NHL, it's just a Junior match.

The seats around us were slowly beginning to fill up with people overdressed in coats and Petes items. Neither Nat or I were wearing anything with the Petes colours on it - we could be supporting the other team for all anyone cared. There were a couple of people I recognised here from town - and a few from school but no one we knew particularly well.

"Who thought hockey would be this popular?" Nat grumbled finishing her beer and heading off to get another round. My phone vibrated in my pocket.

You better have made it to the arena Pelino.

Jordan. Loser. I sent back a reply. Behind the bench somewhere. Thank god this place sells beer

Nice. I'm gonna score for you ;)

I turned my phone off and waited for Nat to come back. She read my expression and knew something was off. "What happened?" Throwing my phone to her, she turned it on and read the message.

"He's hot for you, it's sweet," she said handing me a much needed beer. "Stop grumbling and let's see if blondie actually follows through on his promise."

Moments later the Petes flew out onto the ice and everyone stood up to cheer. Nat pulled me to my feet, hissing that it would look rude if I didn't stand, and tongues would wag, especially if the Coach's daughter was appearing to not support the home team.

I picked out Jordan as he circled the ice, not really sure what he was doing. He looked so fluid and comfortable out there; slightly larger than his teammates. Nat nudged me with her elbow. "Take your eyes off blondie for one second and check out the opposition, pretty hot down there."

Following her gaze, I looked across to where one of the Kitchener players was standing in the middle of the ice with his helmet off. Even from here he looked gorgeous. He placed his helmet back on and skated off, as my eyes followed him around the rink. "Would it be wrong if I changed my vote to the other side?" I asked Nat.
"Nope, if they all look like that then we should consider moving to Kitchener."

Having never been to a hockey game before, or even understanding how one actually worked, I was at a complete loss. I had problems following the puck and I didn't even see the two goals scored in the first period. Nat informed me there would be a break and then another period of twenty minutes, then another break and a final period.

As the players filed off the ice, I felt my phone vibrate again.
That goal was for you, want another one?

I want two more. Maybe that was a little demanding, but I found the bits without any scoring kind of tedious.

TWO MORE? no problemo

Cocky. Feeling like he should be deflated a little, I sent one last reply: Sure and get me kitchener's #12s no.

"Are you winding him up?" Nat said looking at me as I wore my triumphant grin. Nodding, I watched the players skate out onto the ice again and Dad strut around importantly behind the bench, talking to the players and calling them on and off the ice.

"This is kinda fun," Nat said, "if only you actually liked hockey, I could be persuaded to come to this more often. Hot guys, beer and you pissing blondie off..."
I gave her the look, the you-must-be-joking-right-now one.
"Seriously, I'm enjoying this... YAY! HE SCORED! JORDAN scored!" she said standing up and jumping up and down, dripping beer on my jeans. She pulled me up with her. One down, one more to go, I thought as he circled around, slamming his back against the glass as a couple of teammates joined him. He looked up into the stands as I quickly sat down.

The guy next to Nat said something about Jordan and asked if we knew him. She said something inaudible in return and sat down next to me. "Everybody in this town bums your blondie," she whispered. "The guy next to us is a season ticket holder and wishes they could hold onto Staal for another season or two."
He carried on talking to Nat intermittently, updating her with information as to what was going on. The Petes scored again, this time not by Jordan, and once again everyone rose to their feet in celebration.

Kitchener's number 12 was circling around rather close to Jordan and before I even saw it, Jordan pushed the Kitchener player hard against the glass on the opposite side. Jordan had knocked the other guy's helmet off and was now dropping punches left right and centre as a referee tried to separate them. They were both given two minutes in the penalty box and skated off the ice. Nat told me that the guy on her right had told her that Jordan "never fights" so he was pretty shocked when he did.

By the time the third period swung around, I was beginning to get a little into the game. I would never admit it to anyone, not even Nat, but there was something about this sport that was strangely addictive. And annoyingly, Jordan scored his third goal, giving him something Nat's new friend told us was a "hat trick".

At the end of the match, Nat asked me if we could go downstairs. I said we probably could and asked her to follow me. I didn't know really where I was going, but there were a few people I recognised who worked here and we found ourselves outside my Dad's office before I knew it.

"Do you think we could go find Kitchener hottie?" Nat asked as people drifted past us, to and from the locker room. I shook my head. I knew roughly where the visiting team's locker room was but knew I would get really told off for going there.

After sitting at my Dad's desk for a while, I looked up to see Dad. "Enjoy the game kiddo?"
I made a so-so face. I had enjoyed it, but would be loathed to tell anyone I did in case I was made to go to another.

"I need to talk to the players then I've got to do some paperwork if you want a ride home."

"Nat's going to take me," I said quickly.

"See you at home kiddo," he said smiling as he ushered us out.

Once back in the hallway, I saw Jamie who did a double take when he saw me. "Whatchu doing here?" he said ruffling my hair.

"Lost a bet," I grinned.

"Good to see you. Hey Nat," he said past my shoulder. "You should stick around for Jordan, he's having a good night."

"Even the fight?"

"He doesn't usually fight, guess that guy got on the wrong side of him. But he got a hat trick and that doesn't happen too often here so he's going to be over the moon."

"Yeah, well we should better get going,"I said giving him a hug before directing Nat out of the building. I wasn't really in the mood for a gloating Jordan and his three goals.

"See ya around," he called after me.

7 comments:

  1. Love this!! I want him to kiss her or something for scoring those three goals!!!
    Can't wait for more update soon please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh im so excited to see what happens! seriously this is one of my favorite stories probably because it has jordan! EEEEEEE HURRY AND POST! And i agree with Emma he should totally kiss her

    ReplyDelete
  3. He'll def be cocky after that performance. Unless coach catches him texting during the game, then he'll just be dead.

    Is the Rangers player real?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I had enjoyed it, but would be loathed to tell anyone I did in case I was made to go to another."
    Loved the stubborn and backward logic of her thinking there, and the way their feelings for each other are growing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After being gone a couple days, I'll recap. Glad they talked and we finally found out what was going through his head on NYE. And I think it's cute how he remembered their bet (because I sure didn't), and I'm glad Alice went to the game and riled Jordan up a bit. It's funny how she actually enjoyed the game - must just have that genetic hockey blood in her. Agree with Mel too and thought the same about the Kitchener player.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ MelTing and Ang: Nope I completely invented him - no idea if they even had a player with #12 on his jersey at that point... artistic license?

    ReplyDelete
  7. loved the chapter!
    but the best part - i know #12 for the rangers!! hes a good kid! :)
    lol too funny!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think?