Monday, October 4, 2010

XIII

I love new stories, in particular this one. Check out her other stories too. I've also decided to start my own "One Shot Story" blog - I'm great at starting things but not so great at finishing them. And another recent find: Sid Story - What a Lovely Way to Burn


Sorry filler fluff...


Imogen Heap - Hide & Seek


Hey did you have a good night last night? I held the delete key until all of the letters had been erased. Original. No, I wasn't going to send that. Too bland, too... just no.

How's the road trip going? Again I held delete until the screen was blank. He knows I have zero interest in hockey. I didn't want to sound like I'm trying too hard.

I thought I might go for the original approach and pressed send:
Sorry x

Almost instantaneously my phone pinged. That was quick.

For what? No kisses.

For last night?

I was pretty sure that this is what I should be apologising for, even though the actual events are pretty blurry.

Don't apologise if you don't mean it.

Ouch. I mean he has a point, but I really am sorry. I acted like a drunk, jealous bitch who couldn't handle herself.

What? Of course I mean it.

You were loud and clear last night. You decided to change your mind now? Thought you hated me?

Why would I hate you?

This is ridiculous. Of course I don't hate him. I don't know what I said, but from Brady's little summary this morning, whatever I did say last night, I was bang out of order. I don't think he's arrogant, I don't hate his guts and I would hate never to see him again. So why did I say it? My phone vibrated loudly on the bed next to me.

You said it. You tell me.

So I did what I thought was the best thing to do and called him. Only he didn't pick up. Sighing, I turned my phone off and went downstairs, just needing to do something to get out of here and take my mind off this.

_________________________________________________________________________________


8TH JANUARY 2006


I had avoided Jordan for a good week since New Year’s Eve. It hadn’t been particularly hard since he had been away on the road trip and only returned this afternoon. I had kept out of his way, not even passing in the hallway. Nat had finally returned from her vacation out West to visit some distant family in Vancouver and I couldn't wait to see her.

School started tomorrow which meant I would be forced to ride with him – unless I miraculously passed my test tomorrow, which isn’t going to happen. I was bored of watching the snow fall past my window, bored of winter already and bored of school. I can’t wait to graduate and go to college.

I sat cross legged on my bed, atop the crisp white sheets, wrapped up in an old sweater of Austin’s and black leggings looking through old photo albums. Normally I make photo montages and hang them on the wall, but Nat made me some albums from primary school which is proving to be a real trip down memory lane. At least I can say we have both changed for the better and our fashion sense has come on leaps and bounds.

A knock at the door brought me away from such playground memories. “Come in,” I said hoarsely, mentally wishing for it to be Nat.


Thankfully it was.
“Been a while stranger,” I replied closing the albums to make room for her on the bed. She gave me a massive hug.

“Vancouver was amaze. Shit hot. Peterborough looks dull in comparison, and wow, the men are way hotter there.” She continued jabbering away about BC and Christmas before leaning in to peer at the front cover of one of the albums in front of me. I began to push them away from us, I wasn’t in the mood to reminisce right now.

“Any news?” she jabbed a thumb in the direction of Jordan’s room.
I shook my head. I had updated Nat about NYE and any recent events – not that much had happened this week. Mom had been at Beans, Dad had been away so I spent my time divided between Lizzie and Brady.

“Could give you a ride tomorrow morning?” Nat suggested. I really didn’t mind. Actually that wasn’t true. I did mind. But the more I thought about it, the more I realised how totally stupid it was. Nat would be forced to come way out of her way, from the opposite side of town just to collect me. Not to mention that I’d look like a class A fool if I kicked up a fuss in front of my parents for a seemingly pathetic excuse for not wanting to ride with Jordan. I didn’t want to make a big issue out of it; it’s not like it’s an issue anyway.

“Whatever. You need to get out and do something skinny minny,” Nat said. “Your clothes look baggier than usual.” It was true, I had been eating less than my usual amount. In truth I hadn’t really been doing anything strenuous or even my idea of strenuous to warrant eating more and I’m quite proud of my slender frame.

“Let’s go to town and get coffee and cake. Not Beans, maybe Riley’s?” I suggested moving off the bed, throwing a chunky knit scarf around my neck and a pair of boots. Grabbing a pot of mascara, I emphasised my doe eyes and a little blusher - even though the sheer cold would give me rosy cheeks.
As we passed Jordan’s room with the door ever so slightly ajar; we could hear him shuffling around. “Alice?” he said not even bothering to poke his head around the door or open it further. Did he want to talk to me now?

“Later,” I called as I began to march down the stairs, pulling Nat after me. I hated how he could make me feel uncomfortable in my own home. Whatever it was, could wait. At least until later. If it was urgent, he could, at the very least, have come to the door. Nat raised her eyebrows as we reached the hall. Sometimes I wish she didn’t have such expressive eyebrows, maybe a monobrow but then I probably wouldn’t be friends with her if she had a mono.

“What do you think he wants to talk about?” Nat said as we walked outside into the brisk cold. I shuddered, wishing I had been slightly more practical about clothes this afternoon than just wearing my leggings, an old sweater, scarf and jacket.
Riley’s was only a couple of blocks, it’s not even worth driving to. Pushing my hands into the pockets of my coat, I watched the sidewalk in front of me, looking for little pockets of ice.

“He wants to talk to you,” Nat pushed the door open which immediately blew hot air in my face. The warmth was painful after the sharp coldness outside and I quickly found myself taking off layers. Riley’s is perfect for people watching, especially if you get a window booth like today. Looking at the sales shoppers, I realised I needed more clothes, perhaps a cheeky trip to Toronto although Nat hates driving down the 401.

“So Jordan?” Nat pushed as she sat the tray down on the wooden table. Couldn’t she just leave it?

“Yeah, but Alice, you NEED some action in your life. Christmas Eve he kissed you, and now you’re not even talking to him. You just need to be left alone with him for a few hours or days… But I think you like him, you just won’t admit it to yourself or anyone else. What he did at Jess’s was stupid, you know it, he knows it, we all know it, but neither of you can keep ignoring each other forever, not when you both live under the same roof.

“Mmm…” I said sitting there, taking in what she had said, watching snow flakes drift past the window. I wasn’t so sure if I liked him anymore.

“Talk to him, get back to that cosy place you two had before Christmas. It was kind of cute. Actually ridiculously cute and sort of sickening for the rest of us.”

“Mmm… I guess. I don’t want it to be awkward.”

“It’s only as awkward as you make it.”

“Yeah.”

“You’ll have to ride to school with him tomorrow; I’ve just decided I’m not taking you.”

“Are you trying to force this?” Because knowing Nat the way I do, I would not be surprised at all if she was. She always has something up her sleeves.

“Er NO!” she burst into a fit oof giggles, burying her head onto the table. Busted, she was blatantly pushing this. “Of course not,” she protested before shaking her head and then nodding.

We sat gossiping about people at school until the place was closing. Time to go home and face the music.

6 comments:

  1. Jordan and Alice needs to talk and needs to get back to the way it was... like now!! lol
    Great update can't wait for more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was so needing this. i missed this story! update soon ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome update. (: Can't wait to see what happens next!
    Update soon. :] I really want to see what happens.

    You may or may not know, but I started writing another story, a Jordan one. So if you have some spare time and feel like reading, I think you might like it. :]

    http://hockey29-stargazing.blogspot.com/

    Anyways, can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course Vancouver is cooler than Peterborough! But Alice can't avoid him forever and I'm looking forward to their talk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one thing I really like about your story, among many things, is that it's really relatable. I mean, I like the usual stories, but the problems Alice has are typical high school problems. Every girl can relate with the tortures of liking a boy but not knowing if he likes you back, this one just happens to be Jordan before he gets to the NHL. Chapters like these may just be filler stuff, but I still love them because it's soo true. I can't wait until the next chapter for THE TALK :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ sportychic: OK! new update soon.

    @MelTing: Of course Vancouver is cooler - I've never been to Peterborough and apologies to anyone who is from there, I wanted to portray it as somewhere incredibly dull (from Alice's POV)

    @Ang: Thank you! That's exactly what I'm aiming for. I'm not a huge fan of stories where the plot is highly unrealistic and it moves so far (ie they're moving in together after the 2nd chapter)!

    Thanks for the comments - it's great to know your reactions! :)

    ReplyDelete

What did you think?