Sunday, September 5, 2010

X

Fluff but I wanted to get it out of the way for the next chapter...


Frank Sinatra - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas


Christmas Day 2005


"Tell me EVERYTHING!" Nat screeched down the phone at me. I winced. It was too early for this. "You cannot just send me a text saying kissed J under the tree last night...! Though about time too!"

"Merry Christmas to you too," I giggled desperately trying not to talk too loudly. I know just how thin the walls are in this house and letting my parents know via a phone convo was not ideal. 'Merry Christmas Mom, I just kissed Jordan'. Might as well broadcast it to the world that way...

"Your dad is going to have a shit fit when he finds out," Nat rambled on.

"Who says he's going to find out?" I replied wondering how he would know unless someone opened their big mouth or he caught us.

"Guess not. So what's next then?"

"Christmas?" I said wondering Nat was getting at. I pushed the covers off of me and sat up, glancing at my alarm clock. Only seven am... ugh, why am I even up yet?

"NOO," she hissed. "For you and Jordan?"

I sat on the edge of my bed wondering if I should get back into bed. That was quite a big question she had just sprung on me there. I don't know. I really didn't. I guess one of the main things was trying to keep it quiet from my parents. Normally Dad is sort of oblivious to these things, but Mom has the eyes of a hawk.

The immediate thing was to survive Christmas Day, hoping that nothing was going to be awkward between him and me from last night. I put a hand to my nose - it didn't hurt at all.

"Hello?" Nat said from down the line.

"Yes?" I asked wondering what she wanted now.

"So you and Jordan?"

"There is no me and Jordan," I snapped, trying to hush my voice. My parents were only across the landing and Jordan's room was next door.

"As if, Alice. Anyway, keep me updated. Christmas in my house is going to be pretty dull - I could do with hearing the goss from yours."

With that I hung up the phone after swearing on my life that I would keep her updated. I would see her tomorrow for our Boxing Day meet up where we discussed our respective Christmases and exchanged presents. If there was any gossip, I would let her know. Probably.


___________________________________________


Ever since I can remember, Mom has forced Dad and I to wear our best clothes for Christmas. Since Dad is always in a suit, even when he's at the rink, this isn't a problem for him. However, I'm quite happy to spend Christmas Day in my pyjamas, much to my mother's horror.

When I was younger, it was always my best dress and making sure my hair was perfect. Now I'm a bit older, it can be a nice pair of jeans and a top or a dress. Today was no exception and after last night, I wanted to look, well, good. Throwing open my wardrobe doors I glanced across the clothes, all neatly hung on wooden hangers. My usual uniform of skinny jeans or leggings with baggy tops would not be acceptable. I found a camel coloured dress and paired it with opaque black tights and a thick belt. Looking at my reflection in the mirror, for once I was satisfied with my appearance.

My phone chirped loudly. Rummaging under the covers I looked at the text. Austin.
"Merry Christmas babe. Hope you have a good one x"

I sent a quick, friendly reply before finishing my hair and makeup. I think Austin and I are trying to be friends, which after all the history and memories, has got to be the best thing for us. I don't want to lose him completely from my life - he was one of my closest friends; but I certainly don't want to go back to that comfortable if drawn out relationship we had been in.

Making my way downstairs I could see Jordan and my Dad talking in front of the fire in the lounge, no doubt about hockey or some other dull ice-related thing. Typical Dad never helps Mom in the kitchen, which is where I come in: gravy making duty and general vegetable chopper or stirrer. I saw Mom was putting the roast potatoes in the oven and I started making the gravy - not too hard when it comes from a stock cube and juices from the meat.

"Merry Christmas," Mom said as she moved around in the kitchen.
"Merry Christmas Mom," I said giving her a kiss on the cheek. She gave my outfit a once over and an approving nod. "Go and join Dad and Jordan," she said taking the gravy out of my hands and indicating for me to leave. This never happens.

Sitting in the lounge was more than awkward. Jordan did smile at me when I walked in and Dad gave me a 'Merry Christmas' as I put my presents under the tree as they resumed their chat on hockey. I listened for a while as they chatted about Jordan's NHL prospects and what they needed to do with the team in the New Year to ensure they win their division or whatever.

Bored I picked up a magazine and flicked through looking at the images, anything to pass time. There's always a lot of waiting around on Christmas Day when all anyone wants to do is eat Christmas dinner and open presents. This is usually followed by Mom hitting the gin and tonics and Dad snoozing by the fire whilst I go out in the snow for a walk or whatever. Normally I would go and see Austin, however, that won't be happening this year.

Maybe half an hour later, though it felt like three times that, dinner was served. As usual I was sat opposite Jordan in my usual seat at the dinner table. Mom was on my right and Dad was to my left.
"Merry Christmas!" Dad said raising his wine glass into the air to make a toast. We all raised ours in the air, gently clinking glasses before pulling crackers.

I felt my stocking covered feet get trapped in between two larger ones. So that's how he wanted to play it? Gently he squeezed his feet together and smirked across the table at me. Taking care not to attract any attention from my parents who were talking about the next door neighbours - I managed to eat a potato as I concocted a plan.

Wriggling in my seat so I had better access I began to push his foot gently under the table causing him to swallow and choke on his mouthful. I raised an eyebrow expectantly. Did he want to continue?

Before I knew it, he had trapped both of my legs between his strong ones so that I couldn't move. I was grateful for the long tablecloth Mom insisted on using for Christmas dinner, knowing that neither of my parents knew what was going on under the table right now.

__________________________________________________________________________


We spent the rest of the afternoon tobogganing outside of town, having races to see who could go the furthest and giving my parents a little bit of space. It felt strange to not be spending the rest of Christmas Day with Austin, though it felt good to be making new memories.

Jordan reached where I was at the top of the hill, tugging the sledge behind him.
"You ready?" he asked handing it to me. I nodded. Was he trying to insinuate that I was going to pussy out?

I jumped on, making sure I was comfortable and pulling my toque further onto my head. It was bitterly cold and the last thing I wanted was to lose my hat. I felt Jordan's gloved hands on my back, ready to push me down the steep slope in front of me. Anything that would make me beat his record of who could go the furthest.

As the sledge started to move, I felt him jump on beside me, linking his arms around my waist and leaning into me, resting his head on my shoulder. He felt warm and good and it was comforting to have someone else sitting just behind me. I was surprised but didn't turn around as we bombed down the slope, whizzing past the point where I usually stop, on and on until it looked like we might, just might, hit the hedge that was looming in front of us. The hedge was drawing closer at a rapid speed.

"We're going to have to jump!" he said into my left ear as my eyes widened at the thought of jumping off a moving sledge. Wouldn't that be dangerous?

"Er, no. No we're not," I replied not taking my eyes off the hedge.
He pulled me off just in time, metres from the hedge as we rolled over and over in the snow as the sledge whizzed through the hedge. I sat up laughing, looking at Jordan who had ended up a couple of metres behind me. He got up quickly and ran off to find our toboggan as I sat in the snow grinning like a Cheshire cat.

When he came back, dragging the sledge I wasn't sure if I wanted to march to the top of the hill again. I had had enough, I thought; I had done at least twenty descents and that was more than enough of walking up the snow covered hill.

Playfully I scooped some snow into my mitten and launched a snowball at him. Not particularly hard, and it struck him square in the chest. Whoever said girls can't throw was clearly lying. This one can.

"Oh you're asking for it," he said, jogging towards me and tackling me in the snow. He scooped up some snow and threw it back in my face, catching me unawares. Giggling, I made another ball, which he wrestled out of my hands, moving closer until he was right in front of me, pushing me down into the snow and kissing me hard.

It was passionate and warm despite our bleak surroundings and I realised how much I wanted him. He kissed my nose before tugging at the zip on my coat, so he could kiss my neck. His lips slid back up to mine as he nibbled on my bottom lip sending lightning bolts to my underwear. Gently he withdrew, moving slightly before dumping a load of snow down the inside of my coat.

I shrieked at the coldness before getting to my feet. He was asking for it now. This is officially war.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! can't wait for more :D
    Update soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so playful and yet hot together. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think?